Homemade Summer Dog Treat Recipes Your Dog Will LoveLucy Connor 26 October 2018
It’s not just humans who can enjoy frozen snacks in the summer. Help your dog cool down with some tasty homemade treats.
Quick, healthy and easy – we’ve got some recipes below. We hope you have fun trying them out!
1. Dog ice cream recipe
All you need is the following ingredients and an ice cube tray, although you might want to use an ice lolly mould for bigger dogs!
- 4 cups plain yoghurt (greek yoghurt for dogs is great, provided it is xylitol free.)
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter (xylitol free)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ripe banana
(Makes 30-40 cubes.)
- Use a microwave to melt the peanut butter for around 30 seconds.
- Mash the banana into a paste.
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into ice cube trays. (You can also tuck one of your dog’s favourite tube treats inside, they’re the perfect size).
- Once frozen, pop the frozen treats out and let your pooch enjoy!
The recipe is flexible, you can use the same method with fresh strawberries, or fruit of your choice and yoghurt.
For a dairy-free option, the treats freeze well without yoghurt. You can also substitute with a dairy-free alternative, such as coconut milk, which is rich in nutrients. (If you skip the tube treats, these treats are human-friendly too!)
Healthy dog ice cream toppings:
· A sprinkle of rice crispies
· A dash of chia seeds (rich in Omega 3, antioxidants and dietary fibre).
2. Doggy ice lolly recipe
Just when you thought it couldn’t get any easier to give your pooch a healthy homemade treat…
- 1 low salt stock cube, in your pooch’s favourite flavour.
- A chew treat to use as a ‘stick’ for each ice lolly.
- Boil 500ml water and mix with the stock cube, leave to cool.
- Pour liquid into ice lolly tray.
- Add your pooch’s favourite chew, in place of the usual wooden lolly stick.
- Leave to freeze.