There’s a holiday dedicated to everything; from International Hummus Day to British Sandwich Week! It’s only right that serious issues get their day in the limelight as well. World Environment Day is on the 5th of June, every year.
So, what is World Environment Day?
- World Environment Day is a day for encouraging global awareness and action to help our environment.
- Its goal is to encourage people to get involved and do something to help the planet!
- World Environment Day has a different theme every year; this year’s theme is Air Pollution.
How can you take part in World Environment Day?
There are lots of little things that everyone can do to help protect our Environment. We’ve outlined a few simple, everyday changes you can make to help the planet below:
- Pledge to walk or cycle more, instead of driving a car everywhere. Both are great ways to get some exercise and get outside. You could start with swapping out one regular car journey a week, for a walk instead. If transport is a must, consider public transport or lift sharing.
- Getting a taxi somewhere? Go green. Company’s including Uber now offer the option to request an electric vehicle.
- Make some small changes to your diet. Reducing your meat and dairy consumption can help cut methane emissions. If you eat meat every day, perhaps consider allocating some meat-free days to your week.
- Help raise awareness. Promote World Environment Day on social media. Let people know about events happening in your area, share environmental facts and let people know what you’re doing to help the environment! You can register your own event here.
- Recycle. Waste in landfills releases harmful toxins, black carbon and methane into the atmosphere.
As a dog owner, there are lots of simple ways you can recycle a little more:
Consider buying bigger packs of food to reduce packaging waste. You could even switch to biodegradable poo bags! With 80% less global warming potential than a can, our wet food cartons are 100% recyclable and use less energy to recycle than cans.
When it comes to getting involved with World Environment Day, there’s something for everyone. It’s not just about the day itself; every day you can make small changes to help the planet!
You can find more information on this year's World Environment Day here.